0

"When everything's so bright, all the darkness you feel subsides"


That's what I felt like when I checked out David Choi's album, Only You. As you may or may not know, David Choi is one of many who have risen to prominence by posting performances of both covers and originals on Youtube. I had first heard one of his songs, "Won't Even Start", through learning that Wongfu Productions (whom [wtf, I never know when to use this word] I loveeeee) had made the MV for it. This song instantly caught..er..my ear? LOL. David's crooning vocals are pure and earnest with a Jason Mraz-y quality (haha "mrazy") ; the lyrics, though at times cliche-sounding, sound honest and heartfelt when sung by David. Every song sounds so personal and real, as if David is in the room, serenading you and pouring his heart out with each word. And, yeah yeah, its not exactly a sound that hasn't been heard before but I'm still lovin' it. I love how simple and back-to-basics all of these songs have, with no excessive synthesized beats and riffs or over-used Autotune to be heard (or maybe not? ). So far my favorites would have to be "Won't Even Start", "Hold On", and "Windmill". Check it out and hopefully you'll drift away along with David's well-crafted melodies as much as I did. :)

Speaking of "drifting away", there's a MV I watched for the song "Drift Away" (see how I did that? niiiiceee :P) that I thought was really really sad.. The song is by a group called Magnetic North, and they're a hip-hop duo (one of which, is a girl named Theresa Vu, who's hella beastly). Basically, the MV it's about a guy who loved music and then lost his hearing, but still wears his headphones and tries to jam along with the music in his head. That's how I took it anyway. Being a musicslut and all, I almost cried during the part where he was tearing down all his posters and throwing his CD's on the ground. :( I'm super grateful I can still fully enjoy music in the beautiful blessing, and escape, that it is. :D The link for da MV is here.
Note: What the..this MV is by Wongfu too! I'm noticing a trend here...T__T
"Gimme that beat boys, gimme that flow Let me live within the rhythm, let me free my soul, and drift away"


Currently listening to:
I'll Take Everything, by John Mayer

Have fun sending your brothah off to college, Sharon!
-Lisa

0 comments:

Post a Comment