0

Flagpole Fails: "If I Were A Boy"

I should really stop posting, as my current posts not only have nothing significant to offer, but they're outnumbering Sharon's about 8:1, and I'm starting to feel awkward. T___T
Well anyways, this happened to me a few days ago. We were at the library checking our usual obscenely large pile of books (maybe its my Asian love for free thingsI MEAN, it's FREE BOOKS, we'll take as many as we can carry!), when my mom discovered that she had an equally obscenely large fine (k, so not so free? heh?). If it helps, we're not only cheap bookworms, but forgetful ones too. So basically we had about 50 books to check out, but my mom's card wouldn't work without her paying off the fine. Unfortunately, no checkbook or cash to be seen. Anyways, so the lady behind the counter, looking awkward at telling my mother exactly how much we owed the Santa Clara County Library, she asks, "Do any of these two young men have cards?" It took both me and my brother exactly two seconds to figure exactly what this woman had just implied.

Yes. She thought I was a guy. Understandably, my hair is short, and I *was* wearing a not-very-girly-possibly-androgynous-plaid-shirt, and YES, I was half-hidden from view behind the computer monitor. But still, at that moment, I couldn't help but utter those three, unfortunately familiar letters, "F..M..L."

And not only did I have to awkwardly reveal myself, showing, yes, I DON'T have a Y-chromosome or additional body parts, but I had to stand there for quite a bit filling in papers to make a new card, waiting for the lady to create my new library card, and for her to check in the books on the counter. And we then realized that our massive, busting at the seams bag of books was yet to be checked out on the floor. How. Awkward.

0 comments:

Post a Comment